care & repair
The better you look after your handbag, the longer it will last.
Proper care and maintenance can significantly extend the lifespan of your bag. Here are some tips and tricks on how to polish, clean, and store your bag. Repeat these steps every few months to ensure that your bag stays in optimal condition.
1. To avoid marks on the leather, we recommend keeping your bag away from abrasive or rough surfaces. For lighter shades, avoid exposure to dark denim or other dark fabrics with loose dye as they may transfer or leave stains on your bag.
2. Remove dirt and mud by using a clean, dry brush. For any leftover dirt, dampen a cloth and buff gently.
3. Keep your bag polished by applying a colorless leather conditioner on a soft, clean cloth. Work in a circular motion across the bag. We recommend using Saphir.
4. For added protection against water or rain marks, spray your bag with a water repellent leather protector once it's dry. We recommend using Nanex.
5. If you're storing your bag for an extended period, make sure it's clean and polished. Store it in a dry place inside its dust bag and avoid hanging it by the strap to prevent any misshaping or denting. Leather likes to breathe, so avoid storing it in plastic.
1. We recommend using a soft moist cloth to clean the bag, and only use clean water. Avoid alcohol, detergents, or solvents. Dry the bag with tissue paper. Unlike animal leather, vegan leather does not retain moisture and will not become warped or cracked.
2. Avoid contact with chemicals such as perfumes, creams, cosmetics, or shoe polish.
3. If your bag gets stained, blot the stain with a cloth dipped in a solution of water and vinegar. Repeat with clean areas of the cloth until the stain is gone.
4. Prevent your bag from coming into contact with abrasive materials or surfaces.
5. Avoid exposing your bag to intense direct sunlight or artificial sources of heat for extended periods.
6. If you are storing your bag for an extended period, make sure it is clean and polished, and store it in a dry place inside its dust bag. Avoid hanging it by the strap, as this could cause misshaping or denting. Just like animal leather, vegan leather likes to breathe, so avoid storing it in plastic.
At lies mertens, we prioritise longevity and we encourage you to use our products for as long as possible. If you notice any signs of wear and tear, such as a broken buckle or loose stitching, please don't hesitate to visit our store or contact us by email or phone. We provide a repair service to ensure that your bag remains in optimal condition.