Leather & Care
Lees in het Nederlands
Striving for a product that will age beautifully and stand the test of time, Lies handpicks every single leather hide for its quality, durability and environmental footprint. To limit our waste, all leather comes from animals reared for meat production, meaning it is fashioned from residue calf hides.
TYPES OF LEATHER
Our matte leather has a smooth surface without any texture or grain, resulting in a refined look with a polished finish.
Our grain leather has a more structured surface, achieved through a process called milling. Because of this texture, scratches and other marks will be less visible over time.
The texture in our print leather is laser-printed on the hides, giving us the possibility to produce unique patterns designed and developed by Lies herself.
No crocodile was harmed in the process of making this bag. The texture is generated via an embossing technique, making it possible to mimic different types of animal skin.
HOW TO TAKE CARE
The better you look after your handbag, the longer it will last. We happily share some tips on how to polish, clean and store your bag. Repeat this process every few months and your bag will stay in its best shape.
1. To prevent the leather from developing marks, we recommend avoiding exposure to abrasive and rough surfaces. For the lighter colours, we also recommend avoiding exposure to dark denim or other dark fabrics with loose dye, as these dyes might transfer or make stains onto your handbag.
2. Remove mud and dirt with a clean, dry brush. Get a slightly damp cloth to buff the rest of any dirt left.
3. Polish your bag by applying a colourless leather conditioner on a clean soft cloth. Work across the bag in a circular motion.
4. Once dry, you can spray the bag with a water repellent leather protector to protect your handbag against water or rain marks.
5. If you aren’t using your bag for a longer period of time, make sure you store it clean and polished. Store your handbag in a dry space inside its dust bag and avoid hanging it by the strap to prevent a misshapen, dented form. Don’t store leather in plastic, as it likes to breathe.
REPAIR & REUSE SERVICE
Our bags are made to last and we always aim to encourage a longer use of our products. Signs of wear and tear such as a broken buckle or loose stitching can often be fixed. Don’t hesitate to stop by our store and drop off your bag for a wellness session.
As a customer, you can choose to have your Lies Mertens bag repaired, or choose to hand it in to our store for recycling in exchange for a voucher granting you 15% off your next purchase. All products for repair & recycling can be brought to our Antwerp store Lies Mertens - Steenhouwersvest 6, 2000 Antwerpen.